Today was a big run for a lot of the people in our clinic group. We had perfect weather for our 11 mile trek. We were also running one of my favourite routes, to the Forks and back.
Unfortunately we had 2 hiccups today.
First, there's an amazing gentleman who's been running with us. This guy is 75 years old and he's run 13 full marathons and countless 1/2 marathons. He loves to chat as he runs and never seems to get out of breath.
Today, as we were approaching the Miseracordia Hospital we came off of the street and onto the sidewalk. Unfortunately my friend just scuffed the top of the curb and took a tumble. In the fall he managed to knock the wind out of himself. He was rolling on the ground and gasping for breath. We were all really scared and I quickly called for an ambulance.
While I was on the phone with the dispatcher he managed to catch his breath and was able to tell us he was okay. I asked the dispatcher to hold off on the ambulance as we would walk to the hospital that was very close by.
Our friend was alright and decided to walk back to the store. After walking most of the way back to the store actually turned around and ran the last mile with us. I'm so glad he is alright, he sure gave us a scare!
*T.M.I.*WARNING*
The second emergency was much less serious. My stomach started feeling 'icky' around mile 2. It felt sketchy all the way to our rest-stop at mile 5.5. Luckily I made it to the washroom there without incident.
I had more issues in the last mile and stopped at the store at 10.6 miles to use the washroom instead of finishing the 11 miles. Don't worry, I ran home to complete the 11 miles.
I learned two things today.
#1. It's very important to carry a cell phone when running. You never know what could happen.
#2. Don't eat chili as a bedtime snack before a long run!!!
At least I'm not alone in the running tummy troubles!
ReplyDeleteSo glad your running friend was ok. That would have been so scary!
Well I did learn a couple things from that post!! And I wouldn't underestimate the food advice, it is definitely something to be considered when running that distance.....
ReplyDeleteFood can be a runner's nemesis. Glad you learned this one while facilities were close at hand.
ReplyDelete