Saturday, October 29, 2011

Red Run 10k Recap

After last week's Ted's Run I was happy to end the running season on a high note. That is until I got a text from a friend last night asking if I wanted to run a 10k in Selkirk today.

I had already committed to attending a Halloween wedding social but the race didn't start till noon. So, at around 1:00 this morning, I replied with a YES!

This was a the first year of the Red Run and it was a very small race which included a 5k, 10k and 1/2 marathon. Many people arrived in costumes and I was a little sad that I didn't have time to make my own.

Because Christy's friend was running her first 10k I knew I would be running this one alone. I was a little worried about being lonely on the course but it wasn't too bad. I chose to run without music (music free since Niverville!).

 Close to the 4k mark there was a small out and back and I started looking for 10k bibs. There weren't a lot of us out there and I wasn't seeing any women.  I assumed I must have missed them and tried to just stick to my pace.

After the 5k mark there was a final out and back that seemed to go on forever! I kept waiting for the turnaround while watching for 10k people who were heading to the finish.  After seeing 4 men I hit the turn around and realized I WAS THE 1ST WOMAN!!

With only 1.5 miles to go, I picked up the pace a little and decided I would NOT let anyone catch up with me. At 53:28 I was the 1st woman and 5th person to cross the line!!

I was so excited at the finish that I stopped instead of crossing the line and ripped my bib in half trying to hand the lady my number. Luckily the people were very nice and recorded the time I stopped at the finish line :)

A lady dressed as a tiger took my photo for the local paper and I won a very tiny medal and a $25 Running Room gift card.



For another first, Christy and I celebrated by eating a delicious 1/8lb burger (weight after cooking) at Blondies. How have I never heard of this place! It's a total hole in the wall but ridiculously yummy and worth the trip.

My face does not reflect how delicious this burger was!

2 comments:

  1. You are soooo amazing. I wish I could have been there to see you come in! I am so proud if you I cNt believe you gave never heard of Blondies? Haven't been there in many years but it is really good.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! Wish I could have been there...next year for sure!

    I second what your mom is saying...how have you not heard of Blondies?! It's one of my fav burger places in the city. I once asked Blondie for a diet coke after my order had been put in to which she responded "You have two feet, get it yourself" lol

    ReplyDelete