Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hypothermic Half Marathon Race Report

Last year I hated running the Hypo. I was so excited to run with my group and make my very lofty time goal. At mile 3 I could not keep up and spent the next 10 miles beating myself up over it.

This year I swore things would be different. I planned to run by myself and I set a very reasonable goal that could easily be adjusted depending on the weather and footing.

Not perfect conditions but we've run in a lot worse.

I started out nice and easy and just tried to maintain good form and keep my head up. Another thing that occupied my thoughts was remembering and noting small victories.

I thought about all the great training runs I had done with the boys. I noted each landmark on the course and how much better I felt than the year before.


Thanks to the way we trained, my plan was to pick up my pace considerably at the 12 mile mark. This worked out great for me and the last mile was the fastest of the race. It was a little tricky to keep my speed up as the course has lots of little turns in the last quarter mile.

At the end I came in at 2:05 which I am very happy with! I ran with no music and very few negative thoughts, that in itself is reason for me to celebrate!

Not our PR faces but happy to be done.
I should add, the people at Fort Whyte and The Running Room did an awesome job of organizing this race! They must have been freezing standing out there in the blowing snow but they all had huge smiles and encouraging words for the runners. THANK YOU!!!

1 comment: