But...in just over a week I will be going back to work full time and starting a new university class. I would also like to have time to do some running.
So, I spent about 12 hours cooking over the last two days. I did the same thing last year and it worked out great. My only complaint was that even though I froze everything and we ate the it over a couple of months, there were a couple dishes that we were bored of by the end.
 |
| Yes, I wear running clothes to cook. Supportive shoes are essential when cooking for a long time! |
To remedy that problem I offered to split the cost for my mom and provide her with half of the completed dishes. This works out well for her too as she is having knee replacement surgery tomorrow. I am so excited for her! She has needed a new knee for a very long time.
Back to cooking...
This kind of cooking requires some serious planning. Including deciding on dishes, making lists (I make separate lists for each area of the grocery store), shopping, and finally cooking.
 |
| My kitchen after the big shopping trip. |
After 12 hours of cooking, here's what I made. I've linked to the recipes where possible. The carrot soup and chicken noodle soup were not made from recipes.
 |
| The key to these little devils is french-onion soup mix. |
 |
| Slow cooker is a life-saver when cooking in mass quantities. |
 |
| The french onion soup recipe takes HOURS but it is totally worth it. |
 |
| The start of the carrot soup. |
 |
| After adding milk and blending. The most beautiful colour ever! |
 |
| These guys are from the Weight Watchers book but you would never know! |
 |
| Finished product! |
I ended up with 28 containers of food. Most are good for lunches or could be dinners with a few additions. The cost came to under $3 per container.
OMG I am so hungry now! Thanks for posting links to the recipes....I've actually been looking for a good cabbage soup recipe - but you would need to be here to supervise me....I shouldn't be left to a task that big by myself!
ReplyDeleteWell done! I did a week or so of meals for my first weeks back at work - worked like a charm! Enjoy the transition to another season of teaching!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I want to do something similar to help me be organized, but I don't know where to even start!
ReplyDelete