Monday, February 21, 2011

Negative Splits

After yesterday's run I tried to shake it off and work towards a better outcome next time. Well, I couldn't stop thinking about the run. The feeling was what I imagine my husband experiences when he cooks a meal he's not happy with. You see, my husband is an amazing cook but every now and then he makes something he's not entirely happy with. Rather than just letting it go he will cook amazing meals until he feels like he's redeemed himself. I don't mind this too much as it means delicious meals for me :)

Today was the day to redeem myself after yesterday's run. One of my running buddies, Mike,  suggested "negative splits." I did some research and decided to give it a try. Here's a good link from Running World Magazine.

Learn How To Run Negative Splits at Runner's World.com


I decided to run by myself and without music (this in itself is a huge challenge for me).

Here's how it went:
Lap 1: 9:35
Lap 2: 9:39
Lap 3: 9:24
1st half average: 9:32
Lap 4: 9:39
Lap 5: 9:32
Lap 6: 9:23
2nd half average: 9.31


Well, it wasn't perfect but it felt a lot better than yesterday! The negative thoughts were gone, my breathing was a lot better and I had more left in the tank at the end. I also did a little cool down run afterwards. Running negative splits is definitely something that makes sense to me and something I'm going to try and incorporate into my training.


Stats:
6.67 miles
1:06 min.
9:58 min/mile (this is including my very slow cool down)

180 bpm
-17

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck at the Hypo tomorrow. Remember to save me some coffee at the finish line! :>) M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you're running in the third wave I think you might be the one saving the coffee! We'll see ya there, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete