Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Long Run

This morning we set out on a long cold slow run. When I checked the temperature this morning it said -12 but feels like -23 with the wind. Well, it felt a lot colder than that running into the north wind! I had brought my balaclava with me but by the point I really wanted it put it on the idea of taking off my mitts to get it out won over.

As usual, the first 3 or 4 miles felt really hard, cold, and way too fast. Once we got out of the wind the run actually felt quite nice. There were some icy patches and I think I was pretty tense as now my arms are really tired!

At around 5 miles many people took out their gels. I managed 1 jelly bean but I still really hate eating while running. This is something I'm definitely going to have to figure out. 

I chatted with some really nice people today and it always makes the time pass more quickly.

After snuggling up in my bed for an hour and having a delicious breakfast I'm ready to get on with the day!

Anyone out there reading this have suggestions for fuel while running? I can't have any synthetic sugars so that makes things a little complicated.

Stats:
10.66 miles
1:50 minutes
10:23 min/mile
175 bpm
Very cold when running into the wind!

4 comments:

  1. What about Vega sport with coconut water? Didn't that used to work well for you?

    -Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did work well. Unfortunately coconut water is really hard to find these days. Is a sport drink enough in a full marathon? Carey, I know you've done gels diluted in water. Was that enough to get you through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! This training is intense, I am prepping for the 10 km Sun Run and I feel like finishing that would be an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa, the 10K Air Force run was my first run last March. I was so nervous about it that I joined up with the running room and trained with them to be sure I would finish. I had a blast!
    Be careful, you might get hooked!

    ReplyDelete