Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hypo Half Race Reflections

I know this is a little late and it's been a while since I've blogged. The truth is that this week running, university and report card writing got the better of me. My friends will attest that I am just a little distracted and I am forgetting EVERYTHING! But I guess better late than never.


Saturday afternoon I prepared everything I would need for the race. I chatted with my running buddy Joanne about what we would be wearing, bringing and race day strategies.  I actually got a really good night's sleep and woke up feeling great!


Joanne picked me up at 8:00 and we headed out for Fort Whyte. After some debate about how many layers to wear (it was -27 degrees with the wind) we were ready to line up for the race.


Well, the first 2 or 3 miles felt really great. I was keeping up with the pace, even going a little faster than we had talked about. 


At around mile 3 I started to lose my group, not in the good way either. They were slowly getting further and further ahead of me. Everything felt fine, no pain, I wasn't out of breath. I just could not get my body to go any faster. It didn't take long to get bored, tired and a little bit discouraged.


By mile 5 the necks of all of my water bottles had all frozen. What a mean trick! I could see the water inside but couldn't get to it! 


At mile 6 I knew the halfway point was coming up and that my parents would be waiting for me. I was so excited to see them! They had a big sign that said "Run Connie Run!" They were cheering for me and as I ran past them I heard my mom shout after me "I love you Connie!" I was laughing with joy as I continued on.


At mile 7 I finally got my ipod turned on and my mood improved somewhat. Having music makes running by yourself easier and I tried to let it distract me. 


I think it was somewhere around mile 8 that I turned down Grant heading east. Suddenly the weather felt beautiful. I increased my pace and even took my mitts off. That's when I saw my husband and 2 sisters standing on the side of the road with a big sign that said "We Love (it was actually a heart) Connie" Again, my spirits were lifted and I ran on with a big smile on my face! Sadly, after crossing the street I found myself running directly into a very strong and cold wind. I struggled to get my mitts back on and this time when I passed my family (they had crossed the street to cheer on the other side too!) all I could do was grunt and keep shuffling along.


Well, around this time is when my whole game plan went out the window. I felt like I was getting further and further behind. My pace kept getting slower, I was out of water and too cold to eat sport beans. I also decided that to try and make up time I would not take any more walk breaks.


I don't really remember much after that except that the last couple of miles felt REALLY long! As I came up the the finish line I saw my running buddies and parents cheering for me and was really happy that it was done!


I finished in 2:12. It was a cold and hard but definitely character building. I can't thank my family enough for their support this winter and standing out in the cold to cheer for me. Graeme, for putting up with my Saturday night curfews. My running buddies for all of their words of wisdom and encouragement. Joanne for being so committed to our group, listening to me babble on and on, and pushing me when I needed it! 
Wow, sorry this just got so cheesy!


Stats:
2:12 min.
13.1 miles
10:11 min/mile
185 bpm
1545 calories
-27




You should seriously run this race, for the breakfast alone!



3 comments:

  1. Well done!! And what a great support system too, that is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Connie! What a great race! You did very well. See you on the trails. Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING....I love reading your posts, they motivate me :)

    ReplyDelete